Why not try our recipe for pork and apple skewers from Hilaire Walden’s new book I Love My Barbecue.
Preparation time 10 mins, plus 3–4 hours marinating
Cooking time 12–15 mins
- Pork tenderloin 450g, cut into 3cm cubes
- Sage leaves 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Sharp apple juice 3½ tbsp
- Lemon ½, juiced and zest grated
- Wholegrain mustard 2 tbsp
- Grapeseed oil 4 tbsp
- Crisp red apples 2
- Sage a few sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the pork into a non-metallic bowl.
- Mix the chopped sage leaves with the apple juice, lemon zest and juice, mustard, oil and salt and black pepper. Stir into the pork to ensure the cubes are evenly coated, then cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for 3–4 hours.
- Meanwhile, core the apples and cut into wedges. Lift the pork from the bowl, reserving the marinade.
- Thread the pork and apple alternately onto skewers, interspersing the pieces with sage leaves.
- Cook on an oiled grill rack for 12–15 mins, turning regularly and brushing with the remaining marinade, until the pork is cooked through.
From I Love My Barbecue by Hilaire Walden © Nourish Books 2017, commissioned photography by William Lingwood. Paperback, £12.99