This delicious cake not only looks spectacular and tastes luxurious; it’s full of goodness too! It has the nutrient plus-points of extra fibre and protein from the nuts, rice flour and seeds. Wheat free, gluten free and dairy free. Makes a 20cm cake, serves 10-12.
Healthy courgette, coconut and lime cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Layer 4 medium grated courgettes between kitchen paper and press to extract the juice. Set aside for 30 mins. Weigh out 465g, and add the zest of 6 limes and 4tbsp of lime juice. Set aside the juice of the remaining limes. Whisk 5 eggs and 300g golden caster sugar until pale and doubled in volume.
- Fold the courgette through the egg mixture. Sift together 225g rice flour, 100g ground almonds, 5tsp ground flaxseed and 1 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda. Add 50g unsweetened, dry desiccated coconut and fold this mixture through the cake batter. Leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Grease 2 x 20-cm round cake tins, at least 5cm deep, with coconut oil and line with baking parchment. Divide evenly between the tins and bake for 40 mins. Cool in their tins on a wire rack until just warm, then remove and place on the rack until cold.
- To make the curd add a little of the lime juice to 5tsp cornflour to make a paste. Place the remaining juice, 45g golden caster sugar and 160g coconut cream in a pan and heat gently to simmering point, stirring. Add the cornflour paste and cook for 4-5 mins, until it has thickened and has no floury taste.
- Whisk another 45g sugar with 5 egg yolks. Add a little of the hot mixture from the pan to the eggs and mix well, then pour back into the pan. Place over a very low heat and cook for 3-4 mins until it has thickened. Mix in 45ml coconut oil. Scrape into a bowl, cover and chill until firm and cold.
- To assemble the cake, slice each layer in half and, if the tops are uneven, trim these as well. Whisk 150g of the lime curd with 500g chilled coconut cream. Place the first layer of cake on a serving plate and spread evenly with half of the remaining curd. Place the next layer on top and spread with half of the lime and coconut cream. Place the next layer on top and spread with the remaining curd. The final layer should be one of the bottom halves; place this crust side up. Spoon the remaining lime cream on top and decorate with coconut flakes, freshly grated lime zest, and edible flowers.