This simple and delicious low-carb keto bread recipe, made with ground golden linseed, is bursting with goodness and is very low in carbs (approx. 2.4g per thick slice). This keto bread alternative is delicious toasted and topped with mashed avocado or scrambled eggs.
By functional nutritionist, author and keto expert Pauline Cox MSc
Lots of low carb keto bread recipes use coconut or almond flour. However, ground golden linseed makes a wonderful wheat-flour alternative. It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fibre, helping stabilise blood sugars and benefiting bowel and gut health. Whilst pre-ground linseed is readily available, ideally grind your own for extra freshness.
Low-carb keto bread recipe
Makes a one small loaf (8 thick slices)
- 150g golden linseed, ground
- 150g sunflower seeds, ground
- 50g sesame seeds, ground
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 40g coconut oil/ghee/butter, melted
- 1tsp salt
- Sunflower seeds for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C, 170°C fan, gas 5.
- Start by grinding your golden linseed, sunflower and sesame seeds into a flour consistency. Using a food processor, add the golden linseed and sesame seeds first and blend until a flour-like consistency appears, add to a mixing bowl. Next add the sunflower seeds to your food processor. Sunflower seeds are rich in oil, so don’t over blend or you will end up with a seed butter. The sunflower seed flour will appear clumpier due to the higher fat content. Add the sunflower seed flour, salt and baking powder to the ground sesame and linseed mix and rub together using your hands until a sandy, even mix appears.
- Next, add the beaten eggs, melted oil/butter and apple cider vinegar and combine well.
- Add the mixture to a greased and lined loaf tin (2lb tin) and sprinkle on some sunflower seeds before baking for 30-35 mins. Once the loaf is cooked, allow it to cool before slicing. This low-carb keto bread is ideal for freezing, taking out a frozen slice at a time and toasting under the grill when you’re hit with the need to have toast.