Today (November 1) is World Vegan Day! Why not try cooking up a delicious vegan-friendly meal for tonight’s dinner? We love this new slow-cooker curry recipe from plant-based duo Bosh! TV…
Slow-cooking season is upon us, and Bosh! TV has teamed up with Crock-Pot to bring us a warming, vegan-friendly, Jackfruit Massaman curry recipe, made using the new Crock-Pot TimeSelect Digital Slow Cooker (£69.99).
Bosh! TV told us: “We love getting creative in the kitchen, but sometimes you just want to sit back and take it easy. That’s when Crock-Pot has us sorted. We created a Jackfruit Massaman recipe using the new TimeSelect Digital Slow Cooker. It helps to bring LOADS of flavour and means less prep and more time to relax. The ‘Schedule Meal’ function can cleverly adjust the cooking cycle, based on when you want to eat, the food type and the quantity, so your dinner can be perfectly cooked up to 12 hours later. Easy, awesome and TASTY!”
Recipe: Vegan Jackfruit Massaman Curry
You will need…
- Crock-Pot TimeSelect Digital Slow Cooker
- Oven preheated to 200*C
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Frying pan
For the Curry:
- Tinned jackfruit in water 800g
- Fennel seeds 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Coriander seeds 2 tsp
- Cloves 10
- Vegetable oil 1tbsp
- Lemongrass stalks 4
- Banana shallots 8
- Garlic cloves 8
- Fresh ginger 5cm piece
- Fresh coriander 30g
- Kaffir lime leaves 4
- Chilli paste 2 tbsp
- Tinned coconut milk 800ml
- Potatoes 500g
- Sweet potatoes 1kg
- Vegetable stock 1L
- Tamarind paste 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves 4
- Cinnamon sticks 2
- Basmati rice
- Roasted peanuts 8 tbsp
- Crispy onions
- Red chillies
- Coriander leaves
- Prepare the jackfruit: Open the tinned jackfruit, drain with a colander and wash under cold water. Toss the jackfruit to get rid of any excess water. Then, spread the jackfruit out on the baking sheet, put the baking sheet in the oven and roast the jackfruit for 12-15 minutes to dry it out.
- Toast the spices: Put the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and cloves into a small frying pan and toast for 2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer to the liquidiser. Put the pan back on the heat and add 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients: Trim the lemongrass, remove the woody bark and cut into 1 inch pieces. Next, peel and roughly chop the shallots, garlic cloves and ginger. Then, remove the leaves from the coriander and set to one side, reserving the stalks.
- Fry the ingredients: Add the lemongrass, shallots, garlic and ginger to the pan and stir for 2-3 minutes until very fragrant. Then, add the contents of the pan to the liquidiser.
- Blitz the ingredients: Add the coriander stalks, lime leaves, chilli paste and coconut milk to the liquidiser, then put the lid on and blitz until completely smooth.
- Prepare the potatoes: Peel the potatoes and sweet potatoes and cut into 3cm chunks.
- Combine the ingredients: Add the sauce to the Crock-Pot TimeSelect Digital Slow Cooker, then add the jackfruit and potatoes and fold them into the sauce. Next, add in the vegetable stock and gently stir to combine. Finally, add the tamarind paste, bay leaves and the cinnamon sticks, before seasoning with a little salt and pepper, then put the lid on.
- Programme the Slow Cooker: Select the ‘Schedule Meal’ button, then use the ‘food’ button to select the ‘Vegetable’ setting’. Next, use the ‘Amount’ button to select the ‘Full pot’ setting. Finally, use the ‘Hour’ and ‘Minute’ buttons to select your desired mealtime. Press ‘Start’ and let the Crock-Pot do the rest!
Note: The ‘Schedule Meal’ function will not cook food longer than 12 hours from the meal cook-start time. Once the clock is past the scheduled mealtime, the slow cooker will automatically turn to ‘Keep Warm’.
Time to serve!
Dress your bowls (or plates) with perfectly cooked basmati rice and ladle over the vegan Massaman curry. Then, garnish with roasted peanuts, crispy onions, chopped red chillies, coriander leaves and serve immediately – enjoy!