In the last of our series on essential oils, we look at how they can help with menopausal symptoms and PMT
By Eva Gizowska
Studies have shown that essential oils can help with anxiety and mood swings that may occur in perimenopause and menopause. A recent review (published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2015) found bergamot, geranium, lavender, orange and sweet orange essential oils among the most effective in reducing anxiety. Other studies have found that clary sage, lemon, Roman chamomile, rose, ylang ylang and sandalwood have powerful natural anti-anxiety effects.
- In the European Menopause Survey (2005) women reported that the most common and troublesome menopausal symptoms were hot flushes (74 per cent), mood changes (57 per cent), irritability (53 per cent) and reduced sex drive (45 per cent).
These hormone balancing blends can help keep you calm and happy
1) Hormone Balancing Serum
Good for PMS, perimenopause and menopausal symptoms.
- 2 drops clary sage essential oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oils
- 2 drops neroli essential oil
- 1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
- 10 ml evening primrose oil
- 10 ml roller bottle. Try: Baldwins Amber Glass 10 ml Roll On Bottle.
Add essential oils to roller bottle and fill with evening primrose oil. Massage over neck (thyroid) and along lower back and over kidneys (adrenals) morning and night.
2) Anti-anxiety inhaler
Sniff this relaxing blend to alleviate anxiety.
- 5 drops orange essential oil
- 5 drops bergamot essential oil
- 5 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- Aromatherapy Inhaler. Try: Shirley Price Nasal Aromatherapy Inhaler which you add to your glass bottle.
- Cotton pad.
Place a cotton pad in the inhaler tube. Drop the essential oils directly on the cotton pad. Secure the cap and keep the inhaler handy. Whenever you feel anxious or stressed, open the inhaler and take a few deep breaths.
3) Anti-Ageing Healing Skin Serum
Skin gets dryer during perimenopause and menopause. Use this healing serum for its rejuvenating benefits. Also, helps to heal problem skin e.g. acne, eczema.
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil (softened or melted)
- 1 tbsp cold organic aloe vera gel
Blend the coconut oil, aloe vera gel and essential oils until smooth. Apply to face, neck and body daily. Store in the fridge. Make a fresh batch each week.
4) Awesome Body Blend Massage Oil
Use this body blend to keep skin firm. It’s particularly useful if you want to lose menopause related weight but don’t want saggy skin. Promotes more effective fat-burning too.
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops lime essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oils
- 3 drops orange essential oil
- 1 small glass container
- 30 ml jojoba oil, sweet almond or vitamin E oil.
Mix essential oils with carrier oil in glass container. Rub into abdomen and other problem areas eg backs of arms, thighs, buttocks 3-4 times a week.
5) Better Sleep Diffuser Blend
Try this soporific blend to alleviate hormone-induced insomnia.
- 7 drops lavender essential oil
- 7 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops vetiver essential oil
- Diffuser. Try: Neal’s Yard Anjou Essential Oils Diffuser
Fill the diffuser with water (follow manufacturer’s directions). Add essential oils to the water. Turn on the diffuser 10-20 minutes before bedtime.
6) Restful Evening Detox Bath
Round off your day with this soothing, detoxifying bath.
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 1 tbsp jojoba oil
- Handful Epsom salts
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Medium glass bowl
Mix essential oils with jojoba oil in the glass bowl. Add the Epsom salts and apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly. Fill bath with warm water and slowly add blend to running water. Soak in the bath for 20 – 30 minutes.
7) Hair-Loss and Regrowth Scalp Massage Oil
Combat menopausal thinning hair with this essential oil regrowth blend.
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
- 30 ml castor oil (or magnesium gel). Try: Pukka Castor Oil and Better You Magnesium Gel
- Dark, glass bottle or jar. Try Baldwins Alpha Amber Glass Bottle
Mix essential oils with the castor oil or magnesium gel. Shake vigorously. Once a week, massage into scalp and leave overnight. Wash out in the morning. Store in glass bottle or jar.